Saturday 26 March 2011

53.3 Degrees North


I wouldn't have a clue how far north a Dartford Warbler has been recorded, but 55.3 degrees north was enough to tempt me to go and have look at one.
This has long been on my wish list of birds to see, so when one arrived on a Welsh hillside above Llangollen at the weirdly named World's End, I didn't need too much convincing to head over there.
This was to be my second encounter with World's End as I had passed that way in 1991 when I walked the Offa's Dyke Path. I remembered the limestone escarpment above Llangollen as one of the highlight of the walk and seeing it for a second time I wasn't to be disappointed, it is simply breathtaking scenery. I wasn't disappointed with the tiny warbler either a stunning little bird and a privilege to see.

3 comments:

  1. I take it this is an 'old' pic David, otherwise the news about this bird has escaped me.

    Stunning image....of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no Pete, this is as fresh as a daisy, the bird has been around for some weeks. I was there on the 21st and the 25th of March, this image was taken on the latter at 9am in lovely warm sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me very very jealous David. Superb stuff as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment